Dr. Richard Carmona a senior surgeon general of the US views obesity as a crisis, which is growing at a very high rate but it can be completely avoided. According to Dr Carmona almost two out of every three Americans are facing obesity or overweight. The death toll in the US caused by obesity has increased and now a day out of every eight deaths in the US has some relation with overweight and obesity (Carmona, 2003).
- 6 out of 10 people in the US are overweight
- 60 diseases are directly related to obesity
- In US obesity causes over 300,000 deaths per year
- Obese people face more discrimination at their work place.
- Obesity causes lower options for social activities which end up in low self esteem and depression.
Dr Gabriel I Uwaifo is an Assistant Professor of Medicine and Endocrinology at the Med Star Research Institute and Washington Hospital Center. He conducted a study related to obesity rates in the US and the results that were found after the study are
- About 100 million adults in the US are overweight or obese.
- Almost 35% of women and 31% of men older than 19 are obese or overweight.
- 20-25% children are either obese or overweight
These are some stunning facts that give an overall picture of the crisis that the people in the US are facing. It has become a national health crisis for the people of America. Another survey was conducted which showed that in the US about $100 billion are consumed every year in managing obesity, out of which $ 52billion are direct cost of health care. If we take the overall percentage of the cost that is consumed in this regard it would be around 5.7% of all the health expenditures. The cost of low productivity in the industry due to obesity is around $ 3.9billion and apart from that $33 is spent annually on weight loss products (Uwaifo, 2009).
This is just a sample term paper for marketing purposes. If you want to order term papers, essays, research papers, dissertations, case study, book reports, reviews etc. Please access the order form.